CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 7, 2010

christmas in michigan

We got to spend almost an entire week in michigan for christmas this year- that hasn't happened in a long time! Although I had visions of seeing lots of old friends and catching up, the days still went by in a whirlwind. It still was a really neat time home.

We celebrated Christmas with my immediate family the day before christmas eve. My camera died about 20 minutes in so you just get lots of family shots. : )

Our family.


My Grandpa came and spent the evening with us and watched us open presents. Thanks for all your prayers for him and our family. There continues to be adjustments, for sure, but God has clearly been in the details every step of the way.

Ava and Papa Ben.
Grandpa and some of his great grandkids.


Mom and Dad and the grandkids (we missed you Ken and Amy!)


How I love this girl.

Kate Amber.

Olivia having fun doing what? Playing with Ava's things of course!

One of the gifts Ava got from my parents was a "jumpolene." It's an inflatable trampoline with sides and Ava was SO excited. I think from the time it was set up, Ava spent close to half (no exaggeration) of every single day jumping in here. I kept thinking for sure I'd have a crying kid complaining of sore legs! Even though it totally deflates, we let my parents keep it to bring it down when they come this weekend, so I have a feeling it'll be another jumping party all over again.

Kate LOVED to stand inside and hold on to the edges and bounce. Olivia would bawl if you placed her inside. She liked to stand OUTSIDE and hold on to the edges and bounce. Go figure?!


One Happy Kid.

I grew up going to Christmas Eve Services in Michigan (I've never been able to get used to that change). There's just something extra special and relaxed about getting dressed up in the evening, going outside in the dark with christmas lights and pulling into the brightly lit church (even better if snow is falling!). It's one of my favorite things about when we get to be in michigan over Christmas.
Kate and Olivia all freshly bathed and ready to go.
Who is who? Any guesses?! ; )
(yes, I do know).
Olivia (sitting) and Kate (crawling)

Olivia and Addy snuggling.


My Grandma Bahr spent Christmas Eve with us. It's always special to be with her. We're thankful for God's provision for her in this first christmas without Grandpa. There are always so many memories that comes alive over the holiday season. Both my Grandpa Bahr and Grandma Maibach were missed
Grandma and Kate playing.

Ready for church!


I'd gotten the girls all christmas pajamas. Aren't they deliciously snuggly?! All ready for bed christmas eve.
Have to get in ONE more jump before christmas


Poor Kate and Olivia. They figured out the basement VERY quickly. They would crawl as fast as they could towards the door anytime it would open and cry with a broken heart anytime it closed without them. If you were sweet enough to take them along? The second they hit the stairs they'd start kicking and squealing with excitement. So they'd hang out on the door just WAITING for someone to take pity on them and let them go play with the other kids.
It's a hard life as a baby I tell you.


Christmas day we celebrated with the Maibach Family at my Aunt's house.
My grandpa gave Ava this little tea set that she has loved. My cousin Ryan's little girl, Rebekah, and Ava played for quite a while together.


One of the traditions we have with the Maibach's is always a pinata for the kids (one year they filled it with vegetables as a joke. Ask how that went over?! ; ) Yes, they had a back up with actual candy in it). Here's Ava getting her reindeer antlers on for her turn.

All set to go!

Kate thought the whole process was great.


Olivia DID NOT.


Another try.

Some of her loot.

By the time we got home, all my girls had missed their naps and were exhausted. It made for some fun snuggling time though!

Ava and Brynne spent HOURS downstairs playing together. It's so fun to see them getting to an age where they're more peers and friends. Ava gets absolutely thrilled to play with any of her cousins.


At dinner that night I was casually eating my dinner when all of a sudden I glance over and Olivia is CASHED out. Poor girl was all tuckered out with Christmas.

The next thing I knew Ava asked to go lay down on the couch and she was out in minutes.


And Kate? I think she was enjoying all the attention to herself.
(Olivia was still recovering from her ear infection - poor girl)


Ava and Brynne playing house.

We decided to meet up with my Uncle Doug and his boys and go ice skating. Ryan and I weren't too sure what to expect from Ava (let's just say we weren't optomistic).
Ava was thrilled at the idea (she had no idea what it was) but she knew it involved her cousins and mommy and daddy and SOUNDED like a party.

Lacing up her skates (don't they make her look big?)
Mommy and Ava all ready to go (Daddy was the designated photographer . . .and rescuer. Did I mention we weren't optomistic?)

I held Ava the first few times around. She got instantly very quiet and cautious but seemed to think it was kind of cool.


However, the instant I went to put her feet on the ice, it all went down hill FAST. She started bawling and carrying out and begging to get off (even with the walkers they have with little kids). So I made her skate around with me carrying her until she stopped crying (I wanted her to end it on a somewhat calm note) and then she got on the bleachers with Daddy to watch.

THIS she LOVED. Ava would wave and yell "hi!" and cheer on everyone she could see that she knew.

Most of the skating crew

Ava and Addy warming up with Hot Chocolate and Snacks.
(Ava thought watching the Zamboni was pretty cool too)
The last night we were there we thought Ava was sleeping peacefully in her bed. We headed back to bed ourselves later that night and I walked in our room to find this insomniac hanging out in our bed.

Pretending to sleep for Daddy

It was a great time to be a home - thanks for everything mom and dad!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

missed sharing those times with you but our hearts were with you!! can't wait until next time all of the cousins are together!!! xoxo