CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

wait . . .and murmer not

Wait. It's a word I've seemed to encounter often lately.

I use it with Ava OFTEN through out the day. . . .

"just wait . ..I'm getting your lunch. be patient."

"just wait . . .you don't need to be held right now."

"just wait . . .we'll go outside after you're done eating."

"just wait, be patient . . .we're almost home."

For some reason, I don't have a problem with it when I'm the one using the word "wait." Ava can whine and whine and whine and yet I will continue to remind her that she needs to learn to wait.

I'd especially like it if she could learn to wait . . .and murmer not.

I've had the realization that I am very much like my daughter. I'm learning that I don't struggle when I'm the one using the word wait. I, too, stuggle (ok I flat out whine) when I'm the one who hears it. In fact, I'm sure to God (and occasionally Ryan or any of you others!) I sound as exhausting as Ava does to me when she whines and whines and whines.

I've been hearing wait alot lately.

Sigh. I've been whining alot lately too.

You see sometimes in my conversations with God I have this long list of things I would love to accomplish. The fruits I'd like to see now in my life. The list of "gimme's" I fight wanting now far too often lately. The areas of ministry in my life I would love to be active in now and yet God has clearly said "wait" on.

Yet just like Ava is not going to miraculously be able to fly from her high chair to her swing outside without a little help AND learning to walk herself, I'm not going anywhere without a little help and my own journey to get there.

I have to learn to wait.

That hasn't been easy to swallow for me as of late.

God's been repeatedly showing me lately that I need a new perspective and reshuffling of my list of future goals to become His list of present goals for me.

He's been showing me that I can't keep looking forward at a "someday" ministry and neglect my minsitry of "now" here at home with Ava (ie . . ..my master's and resulting ministries is going to be a very slow process).

He's been showing me that I can't expect the growth without the relationship and time - whether that be in my walk with Him, with the long journey of school still ahead of me or even with friendships.

He's been showing me I can't covet the new things . . .until I can learn to wait and praise Him for the used (and even broken) ones I already have.

It all makes sense in my head. Getting the truth to stick to my heart has been a little harder lately. I don't like to wait. Even worse? I whine and then look at others.

Yet God has also been showing me that I need to trust His timetable for me and not compare it with the timetables of others. That's another battle I think I'll take day by day.

Wait Amber.

Wait.

and did I mention murmer not?

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Thanks for that Amber! It's definately something I needed to "hear". I've been noticing a very similar situation with my relationship with Noah.

I am trying very hard to instill obedience and respect into Noah. Day after day I seem to fight the same battles with him trying to get him to learn to obey. We talk about obedience and pray for obedience and yet he continues to throw tantrums and not listen to me. I keep thinking to myself, what am I doing wrong? Why won't this kid obey? Then a small voice whispers to me, "why don't you obey when God asks you to?" I've been a christian for 9 years and yet I still stuggle with obedience. I keep reminding myself that God has so much patience with me and has fogiven me and extended grace to me so often, that I need to extend grace and forgivness to Noah too.

It's amazing how these beautiful little children that can hardly speak can minister to us like no one else can!

Katie said...

Thanks you know I needed to hear that more than ever. love ya

megs @ whadusay said...

great post Amber - waiting is such a struggle isn't it. I love how our relationships with our children deepen our relationships with our Father and reveal new things.

Marie Stork said...

Great Post Amber for all to read--Thanks for being that encouargement I needed to read today. Blessings to you as you wait on the Lord and see how HE unfolds His plan for you. I think if we all are truthful with ourselves--we'd find that many stuggle with patience.

Amber said...

thanks for your comments girls . . .it always helps to hear you're not alone. : )

Anonymous said...

Your reflections and sharing of your heart were a precious way to close my day....and busy week! Somehow when life is so full and busy, WAIT doesn't seen to work well with what all 'needs' to be done! I pray that I can not only learn to wait....but also slow down enough to even hear God speak those words to me. Life is a precious journey, and so thankful we have a loving Heavenly Father who loves us enough to keep teaching us all that we need each step of the way - and thankful for you loving enough to share how God can make us all He desires us to be. Hold fast to Phil 1:6 - a special verse for so many reasons! love, mom