CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 31, 2011

our first Ethiopian Meal

I tried my hand at our first Ethiopian dishes this past weekend. It was an adventure for sure.

I have a huge amount of respect for all those Ethiopian moms out there - Ethiopian cuisine can be time-intensive (or maybe it was just my dish?). I have to say it definately gave me a greater empathy as I think of an adoptive child coming over to the US for the first time.

The herbs had a totally new smell to them, the food a different taste, and can I say? At times it was uncomfortable and unpleasant to me. I can't imagine that huge change on top of so many others at once. Definiately makes it seem worthwhile for me to have our family learn an appreciation and familiarity with the cuisine. . . .even if it takes a little bit. : )

We invited Aunt Callie over to try it out with us.
We started small. : ) I made Dora Wat (a traditional chicken stew) and Himbasha Bread (a "sweet" honey bread. Think more herb than sweet).
You can find the recipes here.

The girls were so excited.

Want the proof?

Here's Ava joyfully partaking.



And Kate.

I think Olivia was happy because the food wasn't in her mouth. : )


My other diners?

Aunt Callie seems excited - doesn't she?!
We won't mention that the bread returned to her plate when the camera went away WITHOUT a second bite taken. Whoops. Guess I mentioned it. : )
9 times out of 10, I'm the more adventurous eater of Ryan and I. So I thought for sure Ryan wouldn't be a big fan of what I had made and that I would do ok.
That whole "pride goes before the fall" thing? Totally true.
I struggled.
There's a lot of spice to Ethiopian food and I'm going to need to start off milder (I had even thought I'd cut the spice down).
Ryan? He ate 3 pieces of the chicken.
At least our child will have Dad to eat meals with. I'm working on it, I promise.
But no worries. Our girls didn't starve.
We ended the meal with good old American desserts.
Ice cream cones for the kids.

And strawberry pie for us from the Mennonite Relief Sale.

Until the next time . . .

4 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

Good for you for trying and that pie looked AWESOME!!! :)

Mindy said...

I agree with Megan - that was great that you tried it! I'm excited to try it now! Maybe once life slows down a bit I can try the recipes. The pictures of the girls are so funny! :)

emilykate said...

If you're ever in Indianapolis, they have the BEST Ethiopian restaurant. One of the most amazing meals I've had! It helped that my sister-in-law knew how to order. :)

Jill said...

Good for you Amber! I am impressed. I have been too intimidated to try an Ethiopian meal yet.