CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My First Stitch Fix Experience

I can't quite believe I am about to do this  . . .

I first heard about Stitch Fix from my friend Lauren's blog and was very intrigued.  Stitch Fix is essentially a company who does personal shopping for you.  You share with them your sizes, style and clothes preferences and can even link them to your pinterest page to view specific clothes and styles you tend towards.  A stylist then handpicks 4 or 5 items to send you for a $20 styling fee that is then applied to any items you choose to keep.  I read and thought, "This is a mom's dream!  Someone to shop for you and ship it to you without hauling a single kid out of a car seat." : )

Lauren is always super fun and cute.  So seeing the fun Stitch Fix items she received, and the ones she chose to keep, only helped me be convinced.

So with Ryan's permission I gave it a try.  

Here's the catch. I don't have a pinterest board.  And it's hard to communicate your style and preferences to someone through a simple questionnaire. I will admit, Stitch Fix almost has me convinced to join all you pinterest junkies. : )  However I did my best and knowing it may take a stylist a little longer to figure me out, gave it a try.

My first Stitch Fix box came this saturday (you can set/schedule how often or how little you want to receive your fixes).  I will admit to feeling a little disappointed this time.  There wasn't as much color like I had said I was looking to find.  However, of the clothes sent, 3 out of 4 fit great.  A scarf was also sent along as a small extra but I didn't really like it so didn't even try it on.  

So here you go - because we are all friends, I went ahead and let Ryan take pictures of me in these after I had gone running and showered . . .and was too lazy to do hair or makeup at 9:00 at night for you all. : )

First off a light weight, every day cardigan.

I thought it was ok. Fit and weight were good.  But for our tight budget of the moment, it felt a little "fallish" and not special enough to justify a purchase.

Next up? My death stare.  See . ..we are all family here. : )

Oh, I mean this dressy cardigan.

Ryan actually really liked this one (and Ava too ; )).  But I may have mentioned we are on a tight budget right now and so I told Ryan it felt a little too dressy and specific of a sweater (and a little wintery) to want to spend my limited clothes budget on.


This blouse almost had me.  I loved everything about it . . .but the colors.  The fit was awesome, loved the style and weight. It would transition great through spring with skinny jeans or a skirt to church.  But I didn't love the black/white (I know, some of you are probably gasping) and both Ryan and I agreed if it was in about any other color, I would have kept it in a heartbeat.  With the black/white it needed a really fun and colorful necklace and since I don't have/wear those . . .it too is going back.


The stylist had also included a really light weight cap sleeve wrap dress in a gorgeous blue. I was really excited . . .until I put it on and she obviously didn't get the memo I had twins. : )  It was too lightweight to hide any problem areas.  So sorry, that one did not get a picture.

I know, probably not the best endorsement being that I didn't keep an item : ). .. but this is one of those things I am already convinced enough by my super easy experience thus far (your fix comes with a prelabeled bag to drop in your nearest mailbox to ship back any unwanted items) to already have scheduled another try.  I have seen my friend Lauren find success (and some really cute items) and know once my stylist and I get a better feel for eachother, I think I will be able to find some neat items for my wardrobe I might not otherwise find locally (without spending a bit of time hauling my kids through stores).

So there you go, my first Stitch Fix Experience. Maybe not the fairy tale I hoped for . .. but I feel like it was a good beginning. I'm excited to see what else comes and wanted to share with all my momma friends out who I think might also love the ease of shopping this way.  And I may get a $25 credit if you decide to try it yourself and make a purchase.  I'm trying it out either way . . .but you can't pass up that chance, now can you. : )  Just use the links I included in this post to check it out.

I'll have to update you all on how my next Stitch Fix goes . . .and maybe next time I'll actually do my hair. ; )

How's that for a random post on the unimportant (but can we admit fun?!) things of life?!

7 comments:

emilykate said...

Fun post! This is the first I've heard of stitch fix...interesting!

Jenny Marrs said...

You crack me up! Your death stare is awesome :-) ha!! I have been wanting to try this since I read about it on Lauren's blog... I was worried about not finding anything that would be justified with our tight budget either BUT you may have convinced me to give it a try. It seems so fun and I can always send it all back if it doesn't work! :-)

L, Ann and boys said...

Oooow....I'm thinking I may try this once the baby arrives. Nothing like a newborn to limit shopping outings a little bit. ;) And I loved this post even though you didn't keep any items. It still show cases the system really well. I may have given the death stare in the sweater with ruffles as well...excessive ruffles make me over compensate with a "are you kidding me look" ever since childhood when mom sewed me dresses. :) I hope you can give feedback on the items or send her the blog link, because I would imagine you'll get a more narrowed down batch next go around.

Michelle S said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing!

Sandra said...

maybe I missed this, but do you have to pay 20$ stylist fee even if you don't keep any of the items? And is is 20$ each time?

Amber said...

Sandra, yes, you pay the $20 styling fee every time. But every time, it is applied to any item you keep. If you have a pinterest account, I would be very "un"worried of not receiving an item you like. Even not having one . .. everything fit great (with the exception of the dress which wasn't bad . . .just not great). It was just more honing down my individual style and what I was wanting to spend money on. So this time, I did spend $20 for nothing. : ) I decided it was worth it as I liked what came enough I do believe it will be successful this next time around and from what I have seen others receive.

You can set to get the fixes as often or as seldom as you want - so that would spread that "risk" out as well if you are really worried about not getting items you don't like. I kind of viewed as $20 of paying a sitter to shop without kids . .. : ) without having to spend the time shopping.

I'll have to let you guys know how the next time goes. Because I didn't keep anything, I did schedule my next fix for soon. But I could have waited a whole month if I wanted to. I think it will be worth it just finding some of those fun individual pieces I might not otherwise find around here or want to spend the time shopping for. And you can give them ranges of cost you are wanting to spend or comfortable spending in.

Amber said...

Oh - one more note. There is a bit of a wait list to get started with them. I think I waited about 3 weeks before I heard back from them to receive my first fix but I think they estimated 3 - 4 weeks. I would guess this will increase as word spreads. : )

But then once you are "in," you can schedule to receive as often or as little as you want. My next fix is scheduled for next week already just because there wasn't anything I kept. : )